Fair Play: On the road again---target, 2013 CCM


I SAW an interesting post on Facebook the other day, and it couldn't be more true for someone whose dalliance with running has been very inconsistent.  The post said, "the distance between dreams and reality is called Discipline."

Now that's very true!


Every runner out there--serious or weekend buff--who has run a marathon got ounces of it.  Anyone can say, "I'm going to run the marathon."

But not any one will have the discipline to push through with training.

The other night, after dilly-dallying for almost six months since joining the 21K division of the Cebu City Marathon, I  jogged again for about 37 minutes from my place to Capitol and back and the only thing that crossed my mind was, "How in God's name do they do this?"

Every day for four months until the Cebu City Marathon? 

And everytime I get to cover events like the CCM, I see a lot of people--old, fat, unfit--who for me have no business  running a marathon but are doing what for me is the impossible, running a damn marathon.

It's my dream actually. A dream I thought of the first time I learned the Cebu Executives Runners Club was going to put up a marathon and that was back in 2009.

"The distance between dreams and reality is called discipline."

Some guys have it, some just don't.

In my case, like one writer who keeps blaming Dan Palami, I blame the Azkals for getting off-tracked in my running.  How can you run if they have a game?  How can you watch a game without drinking? 

On my way back, while still struggling to fathom how to go about this 18-week program, which will be interspersed with the former Paulino Alcantara Cup and a few Azkals friendlies, I saw a couple on the other side, jogging.  The woman was struggling, but the guy simply said, “Kaya lagi na!”

Kaya lagi na! 

Easy for you to say.

Do you know why I want to run the marathon?  It’s not because I want to be finally able to scratch a 42K off my bucket list.  It’s because I’ve always wanted to have that thing that stops me from training for one—discipline.

“The distance between dreams and reality is called discipline.”

Ain’t that true!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The failed U23 experiment

Mother Nature plays spoilsport

A Pinoy played for Real Madrid? (updated)