Saturday, October 29, 2011

Cebu loses final Group C match

THE Cebu Queen City United bowed out of the UFL Cup without a win and a goal after losing to Pachanga, 4-0, in its final Group C match at the University of Makati field yesterday.

The team, which spent more than P500,000 on airfare alone for its stint in the Manila-based league, finished at the bottom of the Group of Death after losing all three matches.  Pachanga, which also featured Cebu-based Joshua Fegidero, who coaches Bright Academy and the University of San Carlos, finished on top of the bracket with seven points on two wins and one draw.

The Stallions got second place with six points, while Global FC of Dan Palami and coach Graeme Mackinnon took third spot with four points and is expected to make the knockout stage as the best third-placer.

 Who will get the wild cards in the knockout stage will be determined after the final two matches between Union and Baguio in Group A and Manhur and Sunken Garden in Group G today.

Despite the scoreline in yesterday’s match—with three goals scored in the first half—Cebu had a better showing and even owned majority of the attacks.

But just like in their previous game, the Cebuanos weren’t able to convert on their eight chances in the first half, with three of them on target.

Junard Aguilar has the first best chance with a header off a corner but his attempt bounced off the grass and over the crossbar, while Lemar Baunsit also tried a shot from left flank that sailed high.

In the 13th minute, a weak back pass from David Gerali gave Ronnel Lagrimas a perfect chance to beat Alex Boanghog for the first goal of the match. The keeper, a policeman assigned in Carcar City, redeemed himself with a wonderful save in the 24th, while Ariel Cahilig forced Pachanga keeper Mark Sorongon to punch save in the 28th.

Aguilar had another chance with a one-on-one in the 33rd but Sorongon foiled him again, and Gino Palomo made Cebu pay with the second goal in the 42nd.

With Cebu still reeling from the goal, Aly Kigbo took advantage of a sleeping Queen City back four to score the third goal in the 43rd.

In the second half, the Cebuanos showed better passing and but they still couldn’t find the first goal.

Joven Bedic made it 4-0 as with a wonderful volley in the 64th that stunned Boanghog for the final tally.

Rene Menchavez, who replaced Aguilar in the final 10 minutes, also had a shot but couldn’t beat Sorongon in the 87th minute as Cebu, formed less than two months ago, closed out their campaign without a goal.

In the second game, the Green Archers conceded a goal in injury time and were held to a 1-1 draw by Pasargad in Group F. The Archers still advanced on seven points, with Pasargad finished at No. 2 with four points.

No comments: