Fan invasion

Fan invasion

While covering the Southeast Asian Games in Bacolod, I always enjoyed the designated seats for the media.

You have an unobstructed view of the action and you can come and go as you please.

I remember, I had a courtside view when all hell broke loose during the boxing finals. Not a few mediamen were seeking cover under the table.

Me? I was so surprised it was happening, I stood up, walk around to see what people were throwing. There was no danger on getting hit, as long as you stayed away from the referees table.

In the football games, the media, too, had a designated area. Up there in the center stands of Panaad.

We had the space to ourselves when the match started.

But 10 minutes, 15 minutes into the game?

The media section suddenly got so crowded, we were packed like sardines.

Why? The fans ignored the cordon, and slowly invaded our area.

Some of my colleagues were furious and were calling the marshalls to tell them to leave.

I was smiling.

I thought, the media never gave a f**k about football, so why should they matter more than fans?

Besides, I had more fun watching the games with fans I didn't know than with colleagues, who, don't seem to lack stories of, for the lack of a better term, "Akong lolo mas kuyaw..."

The fan invasion emboldened me. On the next game, I had Azkals painted on my face and got a "thumbs up" from the AFF guy when I showed up to the post-match press conference.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The failed U23 experiment

Mother Nature plays spoilsport

A Pinoy played for Real Madrid? (updated)