Fair Play: The Derision and paying it forward

I AM mighty tired of the LeBron James drama.

A live global press conference to announce his choice of team? This guy's got a king-sized ego to go with his royal skills.



I don't think Kobe Bryant even had half his drama king's skills.

The Decision, as ESPN annouced it, was aired live and lasted an hour long.

I wonder how long it will take to say, "I'm moving to New York," or "Gee, I had you all at hello."

And there's some derision over The Decision.

Orlando coach Stan Van Gundy told the AP, "It's gotten ridiculous…It's almost like a parody of itself, this whole situation now. Come on, an hour long? It takes 15 seconds to say 'I've decided to stay' in Cleveland but we've got another 59 minutes and 45 seconds to, what? Promote LeBron James?"

I wonder, if after that one-hour show, the team that LeBron picked will give him a cable channel so he can show the best way to flip a burger to captive audiences.

I have a feeling whatever LeBron will announce (or has announced since this sees print a day after the press con) will be shown quite excessively in June 2011, after the NBA Finals.

It will be in the highlight reels if LeBron finally matches his hype with a title or in the comedy shows if he flops, again.

All this hype has me hearing Jay Leno, "Can this guy's head get any bigger?"

If you want to crucify me for dissing your idol, don't! I'm a LeBron fan and I'm also quite interested in his decision and I want him to stay in Cleveland. (He didn't. The bloke's bolting Cleveland for Miami! Oh what a wonderful season we are going to have!)

But I am NOT that interested and I'll just catch a 20-second breakdown of his one-hour special.

PAY IT FORWARD. It is but expected that Cebu's elite runners like the running queen and king will join the run with the bigger prizes when two runs in one Sunday hit Cebu next month.

But I am hoping they won't.

I'm hoping they'd choose the other run on that day.

Why?

It's simple, really.

The running king and queen are the running king and queen because of guys like Dr. Yong Larrazabal, not the Johnny-come-latelies who are cashing in on the bandwagon.

Guys who made running what it is right now so guys like them get to earn 5K in every Sunday's 10K.

How about a little pay it forward moment, guys?

FIFA MOVES. I caught an interview with a Fifa official over at BBC and what he said was interesting.

I didn't get his name but he must be one of the bigwigs over at Fifa. He said this year's World Cup will be the last under the current officiating system. There were no talks about using video technology but he said that the way games are officiated will change.

Now that's something.

Though the official admitted that referees need help, I'm still betting Fifa won't adopt video replays. I think they'd use goal line technology and more referees, the first to forever end incidents like Frank Lampard's non-goal and the second to minimize wrong decisions.

Minimize, mind you, and not eliminate.

GETTING EVEN WITH PAUL. Poor Paul the Octopus, that seer who successfully predicted the results of Germany's games in the World Cup, all six of them.

He picked Serbia when nobody else did and he picked Spain when everybody was rooting for Germany.

Now fans want revenge and how do they want it?

They want a public grilling of that seer Octopus.

Oh no!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The failed U23 experiment

Mother Nature plays spoilsport

A Pinoy played for Real Madrid? (updated)