Fair Play: Donaire shows his way with words

WHEN Nonito Donaire Jr. retires, he can sure pick up another profession as a writer—a good one.

Junior recently launched his own site, www.filipinoflash.com, and wrote a touching entry about his father and namesake in his blog for Fathers’ Day.

For updates from around the country, follow Sun.Star on Twitter

I wanted to quote a few paragraphs from it but when I clicked it, it says “copyright,” so just drop by the site if you can.

I first met the Donaires during a simple meeting with a few sportswriters at Mooon Café just a few months after Junior beat Vic Darchinyan.

It was a week before his birthday and Junior was busy training for his first defense against Luis Maldonado.

It was also back then that I learned the Donaires also spent some time in Silway (Sil-why) Siete before they left for the states. Silway Siete sits mid-way between General Santos City and Polomolok.

On hindsight, it seemed a cruel and unusual punishment to let a boxer who is in the middle of training have dinner with media folks whose appetite can sink the Titanic.

I think Junior only ate fruits, while we had a sampling of Mooon Café’s best.

Despite watching us gobble what he couldn’t eat—and making sure Junior didn’t steal a bite—the Donaires had fun.

They seemed more like friends instead of father and son and so it came as a surprise when I read a year later that they have split.

I met Donaire Sr. again a few months ago in a boxing match. Junior wasn’t there. It was a few months after their much-publicized split. I wanted to ask how Junior was, but thankfully, it was one of those moments when I got to think before I opened my mouth.

There is no reason to relive the reasons of their split. There’s no use giving unsolicited advice, as during the height of their “split,” they sure did get a lot. But if you have time, read Donaire’s entry.

If you aren’t touched by the emotions, then better have your cardiologist check your heart, because it isn’t there anymore.

It’s a must-read, not only for a trainer-father and boxer-son tandem, but for every parent who pushes his or her child to excel in sports.

RAGING LUNATIC. While Donaire Jr. is showing another facet of his personality, his one-time foe Vic Darchinyan is showing he is still as one-sided and as predictable as ever.

Darchinyan, who hasn’t met a question he can’t answer with a Donaire trashing, told fighthype.com, “After I beat Agbeko, I will fight anyone who is a true warrior...I’m not only going to break him, but I will retire Donaire. I’m going to have it where his corner or no doctor will stop the fight because I’m going to slowly beat him badly and then stop him and retire him. He talks
a lot and he forgot who made him, you know? I made him and I will break him.”


The Raging Bull is wrong. He didn’t “make” Donaire. The Filipino Flash’s left hook did.

I wonder if somebody asks Darchinyan about the weather, whether he will find a way to blame Donaire for all the rain.

When I first saw Darchinyan, I thought he didn’t seem to be the Raging Bull he projected himself to be. During the press con
for his fight against Z Gorres, he was just busy playing with a tiny glove on his finger.

This is the Raging Bull? I thought. This one couldn’t hurt a fly.

Then he opened his mouth.

At one point, though, he seemed to have been taken aback when somebody asked him, “Why do you talk like that? Why talk trash? Is that how you boost your confidence?”

I forgot Darchinyan’s answer but I could never forget the look on his face before he opened his mouth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The failed U23 experiment

Mother Nature plays spoilsport

A Pinoy played for Real Madrid? (updated)