Fair Play: Longest six minutes in history

(This post got lost)
IF I HAD less than 24 hours to live, I’d probably get GMA 7’s and Solar Sports’ help.

If they can stretch six minutes to three and a half hours, they’d do wonders for me.

At four minutes before 12, Manny Pacquiao ended Ricky Hatton’s unbeaten run at 140 pounds. At around 3:30, GMA time, Martin Nievera was still singing the national anthem.

“We are not to blame,” a GMA bloke, who asked not to be named, told the Philippine Daily Inquirer.

The bloke said Solar Sports had a blocktime deal with GMA. Meaning, Solar Sports can do what it wishes with the airtime it bought from GMA.

Well, I’m no expert in broadcasting, but by selling at least six hours (I caught the GMA broadcast at 10 a.m. It ended at 4 p.m.) to Solar for essentially a two to three-hour telecast, doesn’t that sort of open the way for a saturation of ads?

If Kapuso had any puso, couldn’t it just have sold half the airtime it did to Solar?

It’s just plain greed. Just like Skycable’s murderous PPV fees.

Curiously, I think Skycable also did a number on their internet subscribers.

I tried downloading Sopcast, a program that enables live streaming but judging from the speed of the download, it would have taken me 48 years to finish it.

I had no problem with Sopcast when I watched the dela Hoya fight. My kababayan, Emmanuel Sal Cielo, whose internet provider is not Skycable, also didn’t have a problem when he saw the Hatton fight on Sopcast.

“Sopcast mao pinakareliable, walay hunonghung,” Emmanuel told me last night.

Hmmm. Sopcast down when Skycable’s charging P1,500 for PPV? Is Skycable also kapuso?

At the height of Pacquiao’s aborted transfer to ABS-CBN, Solar Sports threatened to sue the network and one official said then that should the suit pushes through, he pities the ordinary folks since they won’t get to see the Pacquiao fight.

Last Sunday, were they concerned of the ordinary folks or of their pockets?

I think, I uttered, “Ah, grabeha!” more than 10 times when at 2 p.m., GMA was still airing the Sotto fight, and during every commercial break at 3 p.m., when it took them more than 30 minutes between Pacquiao’s entrance and the first round.

At around noon, every Pinoy who had a cellphone or radio, or had a neighbor who had one, knew the outcome of the fight.

By delaying the fight until 3:30 p.m., it made fans wish they could deliver the knockout blow to GMA.

WEIGHING-IN. In previous fights, all I saw of a weigh-in were, well, fighters weighing in. I never knew you’d learn something interesting from a weigh-in.

When I caught the replay Sunday night, thankfully, not on GMA, the previous day’s weigh-in was aired before the replay itself.

And it was great, because had I not seen it, I wouldn’t have learned that:

1.) Michael Buffer introduced Pacquiao as “From General Santos City…” so Pacquiao’s change of address happened after the weigh-in.

2.) Oscar dela Hoya can’t keep his mouth shut. When he was asked who he thought would win the fight, he said, “Let me put it this way, if it was Ricky Hatton who fought me last December, I would have been knocked out.”

Of course, that’s indirectly saying Pacquiao’s not that as powerful as Hatton. Well, at least that’s twice now, that Pacquiao has embarrassed dela Hoya.

3.) As much as Hatton has been vilified and slammed for his loss, he’s really like Manny, a people’s champ, though just a wee bit more outspoken.

Hatton said after the weigh-in, “I’d like to thank all the fans from the US for all their support, all the fans who came from the Philippines…”

He thanked his fellow Brits last, and added, “You won’t go home disappointed.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The failed U23 experiment

Mother Nature plays spoilsport

A Pinoy played for Real Madrid? (updated)