Fair Play: Pacquiao reveals political plans

HERE’S a classic good news, bad news scenario for you.

Manny Pacquiao, the Pinoy boxer who graced many sports magazine covers, landed in the cover of Readers Digest in its December issue.

Yipee!

Interviewed by Jim Plouffe, the Editor-in-Chief of Readers Digest, Pacquiao replied when he was asked whether he still has political ambitions, “Absolutely. I want to be a congressman…I want them to idolize me in terms of public service...I can change the system. I’m not like some politicians who can be corrupt. I have money and I am satisfied with what I have earned from bloody work like boxing. What I want to do is bring government money back to the poor people.”

Nice line, but then again, he has a certain ex-governor for his adviser, doesn’t he?

His original stunt in 2007 put the people of Polomolok, Gen. San, and all the others in the first district of South Cotabato in a bad spot—choose Pacquiao and be known as the people who elected an active boxer to Congress, or choose Darlene Antonino-Custodio, whose family has held that post ever since most of the 30-somethings learned to say, “da-da,” and be known as the people who extended this political dynasty’s stay in power for another three years.

In July 2006, when I attended a friend’s wedding, a bridge connecting Polomolok to Gen. San was damaged and people were grumbling, “Wa gyud ni na-paayo ni Custodio?”

When I returned to cover the Palarong Pambansa in the summer of 2007, the bridge was still down but when I asked my friends regarding Pacquiao’s candidacy, they all said, “Mag-unsa man na siya digto? Maayo pa si Antonino.”

The Readers Digest article, though short, revealed a lot about Pacquiao. He has to tell one of his handlers to “be quite, I can speak for myself,” and his handlers never left him alone during the interview. Hmmm, perhaps that’s why Mr. Plouffe decided to go with the Question and Answer format?

Anyway, if Pacquiao really wants to run for public office, he should target the safest position there is and run for the Senate.
I mean, we elected a Lito Lapid, him who still isn’t sure whether he is with the minority or the majority. We got an Antonio Trillanes, who aside from his affinity with five-star hotels is still in jail, we got a Jamby Madrigal, Jinggoy, and the rest, certainly there is a place for a Senator slash boxer Pacman.

Besides, what do senators really do except, grandstand, oust each other, or prepare for their run for the presidency? And also, the decision to choose Pacquiao won’t be limited to the people of South Cotabato, but to all the Filipino voters.

He also doesn’t have to retire from boxing, if we got Sen. Bong Revilla doing films while in office, Sen. Pacman can take on the Ricky Hattons of the world while he..uhmmm, while he…uhh.. what’s a senator’s job again?

FURTHER STUDIES. If fighters like Pacquiao train a lot for their upcoming bouts. I hope whoever are in charge of the commentary will do too.

Listening to them babble about their friends in the gallery or back home, or even describe every punch thrown and missed gets too tiring. During a previous Pacquiao fight, I heard one patron asking a waiter, “Dong, pwede na i-mute na lang, saba kaayo sila.”

FOOTBALL. Last week, the University of San Jose-Recoletos defeated the University of the Visayas for its second straight Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation Inc. crown.

That win cemented USJ-R’s status as the best collegiate team in Cebu football. Not only did it defend its crown, it also kept alive an amazing streak—making the Cesafi finals for eight straight years.

Now, that’s lording it over the competition.

The next step for USJ-R is the Private Schools Athletic Association regional meet and I hope the team can carry its dominance in the local stage to the bigger stage.

Comments

ronaldo said…
Nice dig on our senators.

Ahhhh, CESAFI Collegiate football !!!

If football fans are required to support just one team, I wouldn't be able to decide which between USC or USJR to follow.

I graduated in USC, my collegiate years spent rooting for incumbent CFA president Richard Montayre. He was to the dead ball what Beckham is to it today. CAAA finals usually had USC vs USJR, with Babot Bono leading the Kicking Jaguars.

Both schools were destinations for Bosconian players, thus my affiliation. I don't recall a batch from both schools that didn't have a Bosconian or two in it's lineup. Most of these players I have known since they were graders.

At present, USC is top heavy with Bosconians. If I'm not mistaken, I think there are 8-9 of them. USJR has 5 or 6. Unfortunately for USC, they haven't been able to get another title after their 2006 championship, a fact that I am surprised with. USC is deep and talented, in my opinion, the best collection of individual talent, but I don't think they have the motivation to win another title.

USJR's 4 consecutive CESAFI titles had a downside. The titles was a result of having and playing veteran players, a tactic that resulted in little playing exposure for their newer players. Thus, when the last of the veterans (Aller, Intong and co.) graduated in 2004, they were left with no real leader. That was a key factor for their titleless 2005 and 2006 campaign.

Bono though has learned his lesson. He is giving more than ample playing time for his rookies and sophomores, thus assuring him of battle hardened Jaguars year in, year out.

But USJR, or any CESAFI team for that matter, will always have a hard time at the PRISAA. Our collegiate teams doesn't play that much, and that CESAFI rule barring players from participating in other tournaments while the CESAFI is going on is the culprit. I'm not about to suggest that CESAFI schools allow their players to play with the different teams in the Aboitiz since this will be a scholarship requirement problem. But I am hoping that the college teams will be allowed to play in the Aboitiz. Matching up against seasoned teams and players will only help them improve.

Popular posts from this blog

The failed U23 experiment

Mother Nature plays spoilsport

A Pinoy played for Real Madrid? (updated)