Friday, September 26, 2008

TCC gets council's aid; ban on 4 ANS players, lifted

http://sunstar.com.ph/static/ceb/2008/09/26/sports/team.cebu.city.gets.council.s.aid.tomas.lifts.ban.on.four.ans.players.html

THE CEBU City government has allotted P428,000 to bankroll the travel expenses of the 78-man Team Cebu City to the Philippine Olympic Festival National Championships scheduled on Nov. 6 to 11 in Cagayan de Oro City. 

Through the resolution of the Cebu City Council chairman on committee on games, amusement and sports Councilor Sylvan Jakosalem and Raul Alcoseba, the Council approved the financial aid which will be taken from the Pagcor funds. 

“This is the first time Cebu City shoulders the entire expenses of the athletes going to the Philippine Olympic Festival,” Jakosalem told Sun.Star Cebu. 



Team Cebu City is composed of two football teams—the defending champion 14-and-under and the 19-and-under squad, and will also have 13 for track and field, six for karatedo, nine for taekwondo, five swimmers and five officials. 

The allocation will cover boat fare, inland transportation, meal allowance, uniforms, and contingency fund. 

In relation to this, Cebu City mayor Tomas Osmeña has also lifted the ban against four football players from the Abellana National School last Sept. 23. 

Osmeña authorized Folk Hanes Anthony, Hensin Prince Anthony, John Paul Diao and Carlito Abadia to join the 19-Under Cebu City Football Team. 

Osmeña banned the entire ANS football team for participating in the qualifying tournament held in Dumaguete City last July 23-27 without the knowledge of the Department of Education Cebu City officials. 

Worst, ANS represented the Cebu Province squad. 

As a result, Osmeña barred the entire ANS football squad and its coach, Francis Ramirez, from participating in any DepEd-sanctioned tournament of one year. 

Because of this ANS players did not participate in the Milo Little Olympics and will be barred from joining the District and Division Meet that would give them a chance to represent the city to the regional meet. 

Unlike last year, where Cebu City athletes participated at their own expenses, the City is giving its full support to the qualified athletes to represent Team Cebu City. 

The last qualifying event for the 3rd Philippine Olympic Festival for the Bicol, Southern Tagalog area was held last Sept. 17 to 21 at the UP Los Baños and Trace College in Laguna.

1 comment:

ronaldo said...

This is a very welcome development. BTW, it's U17 (born 1992) and not U19 (born 1990).

What I'd like to know is who are the 4 members of the team that are being replaced by the 4 ANS players.